Want to get involved in Modern Nexus? Whether you are interested in writing, supporting the data work, or just getting some experience working on a gaming website like ours, we might have a home for you in the Nexus. Here are the different ways you can help out and the current availability of each role:
We are not accepting applications at this time (11/29/2015)
Modern Nexus is a great place for writers to get their content and ideas out to the greater Modern community. As we expand and continue to provide quality Modern coverage, we are interested in bringing on writers to regularly contribute their work to our site. Please see additional details below:
- Work Responsibility
Staff Writers will write 1-2 articles per week, always on a regular schedule. This will include a mix of personally selected topics and editor-assigned pieces for the site. Writers will be responsible for topic selection, editing their own articles, and regularly responding to readers in the comment section. Writers will also be expected to regularly communicate with the Editor in Chief on their articles and writing.
- This is a paid position.
- Writers will be compensated based on article quality and previous writing/Magic experience.
- There is no fixed rate. Rates are negotiable with the Editor in Chief.
- No previous writing experience required! All applicants will need to submit a sample of their work, but this can be something they write as part of the application or something already written (see next section for more).
- Tournament experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Ability to work within and meet deadlines.
- Email the Editor in Chief, Jason Schousboe (email@example.com) with the tagline [Writer] in the subject line.
- Include a brief description of why you are interested in the position and what you can bring to the site.
- Describe any previous tournament or writing experience you have. Writing experience does not need to be related to Magic or even Modern.
- Include one sample of your past work that you believe showcases your abilities. Samples should be 2000-5000 words and concern Modern. If you do not have previously published pieces, you may instead write something just for the application.
- Include three article ideas that you think would be good fits for the site. Each idea should have a 1-3 sentence description of what the article would cover.
- Include any questions you have about the site, the position, and/or the content.
- All prospective writers will receive a response within no more than 1 week of submitting their application.
- Only complete applications will be considered.
If you are accepted past the first application stage, you can expect to have a 4-6 week review period before attaining full Staff Writer status. During that period, you will produce content on a regular schedule, including both assigned topics and those you select yourself. Depending on how the review period goes, you may be accepted as a regular Staff Writer for Modern Nexus.